The year 2018 had a very cold beginning here in US. Now that I stopped shivering I can write my obligated annual “good-better” summarizing/planning post. My 2017 was good, although I didn’t quite accomplish the goals I set out at the beginning of the year:
- Read 50 books, 20 of which from shelves at home. Partially Done. I did finish 50 books and here are the book reports: Q1; Q2; Q3; Q4. Amazingly, the average length of this year (2017)’s books is 341 pages, compared to (2016)’s 343, and (2015)’s 342. As a statistician, I can’t help marveling at these numbers. There had to be something significant going on other than coincidence. Only 16 of the 50 books were from shelves at home, so this part of the goal wasn’t reached. I am not going to lose sleep over it though. 🙂
- Visit 3 new countries. Done. I visited South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand.
- Swim 80 times (average 1.5 times a week); yoga at home everyday. Not done. I only swam 37 times, average 0.7 times a week. I didn’t count how many days I did yoga at home, but I suspect it was less than every other day. On average I walked 4,953 steps a day, slightly short of last year’s 5,080 and a lot fewer than the previous year’s 7,000. Seems I missed the marks of my exercise goals quite a bit!
- Publish 40 blog posts. Not done – only published a shameful 7 posts, not even half of last year’s not-so-good 18.
- Lose 5 pounds. Not done – my weight throughout the year moved up and down within a six-pound range. At least I weighed one pound less on December 31st than on January 1st, so I consider it losing 1 pound.
All in all, my 2017 wasn’t very productive in reaching goals. However, it was a great year in traveling – I actually was in four continents! 🙂 Here is this year’s travelogue:
- January. London, United Kingdom (work)
- May. Seoul, Busan, South Korea; Beijing, China
- July. Mystic, CT; New England
- October. Sydney, Cairns, Melbourne, Uluru, Australia; Queenstown, New Zealand
- October. New York City, NY (work)
I haven’t got a chance to write about the 19-day Australia/New Zealand adventure – one of the best trips of my life! It involved 12 flights, 8 hotels, 4 time zones, and temperatures anywhere from 50 to 100 degrees. I ended up being poorer financially but much richer in experiences and memories, not to mention the thousands of photos I brought back with me!
Now here are my goals for 2018:
- Read 50 books – at least 5 in Chinese, at most 25 in audio format
- Visit 5 new countries
- Swim 50 times; yoga at home everyday (except this past week :))
- Publish 30 blog posts; write at least 3 full-length travel articles in Chinese
- Learn to cook 3 new dishes
- Lose 5 pounds
I am looking forward to a better year ahead – more explorations and adventures. I can’t wait to start.